Thursday, January 5, 2012

Russian Language

               Since July, I have been learning Russian, or as the russians call it 'Russian Language'... One of the hardest parts about it, is that handwritten Russian is almost completely different from typewritten Russian. Handwritten Russian, which is almost always in cursive, consists of letters that pretty much all look the same when they are strung together--at least to me. So, I was looking up examples of handwritten Russian to practice reading it, and found this incredibly funny picture.

The bottom says 'Strong nation will conquer even in Language'.  This cracks me up because it is so... Russian. 

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day: There is something that seems to distinguish Russian people in a way that adjectives can't really do. Every country has its stereotypes*: Spanish people love to party, French people are very fashionable etc... With Russia, there isn't really a stereotypical adjective that I can think of, though there is definitely a certain quality that I've seen in almost every Russian person I've met.  They all seem very: Russian. 
There really is no other way to put it. It'll be interesting if this holds true upon my going there.

*Please be aware that these ARE stereotypes that may or may not be based on truth. They are not in any circumstance to be taken as the truth. 



No comments:

Post a Comment