Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Русская Школа--Ruskaya Shkola--Russian School

    Yesterday and today I had my first days of Russian school. It could not be more different than school in the US. In some ways, it is way more formal, but in others, it is less
. We call our teachers by their first name, and then patronomic name. (In russia everyone has a patronomic name, which is their father's name with a suffix at the end). Example: the director of my school is named  Светлана (Svetlana), and her father is named Андрей (Andrei), so I would call her: Светлана Андревна (Svetlana Andreevna)
        At the beginning of every class, you stand until the teacher tells you to sit down. In my school, the kids don't raise their hands, the teacher either addreses them directly, or just asks a question, and anyone who knows the answer calls it out. Also, there is a lot of talking during class, I can't understand if the kids are talking about the lesson or other things, but the teachers appear not to care. It isn't bad to have your phone on during school in Russia (at least my school), lots of kids keep their phones on and on top of their desks, and sometimes even text during class (this though I'm pretty sure isn't allowed, because it is usually done under a desk or textbook.
         A big difference between my school in Russia and my school in the US is that in Russia every single class is... a class. There is no study hall or assembly or community block or anything like that... There is just Algebra, Biology, Russian history, etc. I have about 15 different classes, and 6 every day. School starts at 8 and ends at 2:30. It is very close to my house, so Laura and I walk---which reminds me... My school has kids from age like 6-18 all in the same school. So between classes (we have 15 minutes between each class) you walk by little kids in the hallway, it is strange to get used to. Another thing that takes getting used to is lunch, we don't have a lunch period, we just eat lunch in the 15 minutes passing time between the 4th and 5th lesson.
      The students at my school are very nice. We have a hard time communicating, because they don't speak a lot of English, and I don't speak a lot of Russian, but we try. They are asking me lots of questions about my school in the US and life in the US.
     I am in 10th class, which is the equivalent of being an junior in the US, so the kids in my class are all 16 and 17. This is hard, because not only do I not understand the material because its in Russian, I don't understand it because I've never taken pre-calculus or trigonomitry, so I have no idea what sin and cos mean... I do however know how to say sin and cosine in Russian: sinus and cosinus if you were wondering...

Okay, thats all for now
пака! (bye bye)
Also check out my facebook... I posted lots of photos.

Also please know that I am reading all of your emails, and I'm sorry if I don't respond right away, I don't have a lot of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment